Tuesday, April 23, 2013

You Don't Have to Answer

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. - Revelation 3:20

Enjoying a couple of quiet hours alone, there was a knock at the door. I wasn't expecting company so imagine my disappointment when I reached the door and realized that it was a salesman offering a service that I didn't need or care to hear about. I'd had experience with the company recently and had changed my services to a new provider. I smiled through the glass pane by the door and simply said "Thanks, but I'm not interested". As I walked away casually, I could hear him compelling me to open the door so he could share some new information with me about their services and even asked me to confirm the residential name he had listed for me. I continued to return to my sweet time of relaxation having realized that just because there was a knock, I did not have to answer. 

Too many times we are stressed out and ready to fight with just about everyone who makes a demand on our time and attention. Undeserving they may be, we have allowed them to suck up valuable, irreplaceable time, energy, and even money. Every request doesn't deserve a response and every question doesn't demand a reply. You simply don't have to answer. 

You don't have to answer to the voice of the enemy when he comes creeping into your ear whispering thoughts of death and dismay. You don't have to answer the one who cries 'wolf' who has all of the resources at reach, but wishes for you to simply serve it to them. You don't have to answer. You don't have to answer every prying, nosy person who salivates at the thought of peeking into your past so they can predict the demise of your future. You don't have to answer. 

Do yourself a favor and stop answering the knocks of so many people who are interrupting your peace of mind about so many things that are irrelevant, unimportant or just plain stupid. The only knock you really want to answer is the one from Jesus. He stands at the door waiting to experience koinonia with you, to be the friend that only He can be. Unlike the unwanted salesman at my door trying to take up my time, my energy and my money, Jesus comes bearing gifts when He knocks. When Jesus knocks, He brings peace with Him! He brings joy instead of sorrow! Instead of ashes, He brings you beauty! You don't have to answer, but when Jesus comes a knocking, if I were you...I would!

Peace & Blessings!

Tracy Gale

*P.S. I just realized that The Tuesday Morning Encouragement is 10 YEARS OLD!!! Praise God!!


No comments:

Post a Comment