Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Baggage Fees

"For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you
no greater burden than these necessary things" - Acts 15:28

My bestfriend and I celebrated her birthday during a trip to Atlanta, Georgia a few years ago. The airline allowed two carry-on bags and the first suitcase was free if it weighed under 50 pounds. On the way to Hotlanta, I had no problems at all. My purse and laptop were carried on as trip necessities and my luggage was well under weight. We made it to our destination safely and had a blast! Of course we shopped a little along the way. Who can visit Atlanta without shopping, right? By the end of the trip, the same suitcase I checked at no charge was now going to cost me $50 to get home for being one pound too heavy! I was floored! My BFF and I shifted some items, tossed unneeded boxes and bags and finally, my suitcase was just light enough to leave the state without extra baggage fees. Now consider your baggage.

How much unnecessary baggage are you carrying around with you? When you went into the situation you were light and free. Now you're bogged down and in bondage. Many are carrying around loads, bags, boxes, and even cases of things you picked up along the way that the Holy Spirit is trying to free of from. We are carrying anything from old wives' tales, to broken relationships, to ungodly attitudes. How much does it cost to carry your bags from station to station in your life? Has the fee to have all of this baggage reached it's maximum limit? Are you ready to release the heavy weight of things you've picked up along the way that you no longer really need?

The Lord desires to do a new thing in your life, but you only need the essentials on this trip. It's pretty difficult to have a new mind if you're still holding on to old thought patterns. It's nearly impossible to have a new life when you're comfortable and unwilling to let go of the old. You have a choice and it's simple. Unload your bags and lighten the load or pay the cost to carry them. What will you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment